Friday, March 18, 2005

A 'Business Breakfast', and we are on our way

It is the morning after a bad night's sleep, and Paul and I have a 'business breakfast' at work. Quite why we had to invite the Chamber of Commerce to a breakfast on a Friday morning I have no idea. Anyway, Paul and I are sat as representatives of the Digital Arts Centre, the university's flagship development.

I'm halfway through a bacon roll when one woman from the Executive Committee invites me to stand up and say a few words upon a new scheme that is no-where near fruition. I'm completely taken back by this, and stumble through 3 minutes of mumbly buzz words about 'widening participation, encouraging entrepreneurship' etc. I'm bloody furious at being unprepared and dropped in it. Paul says I need a holday. So around lunch time we get changed, leave the suits in the office and set off.

We arrive at Portsmouth and meet Jack and Martin, our fellow travellers. We get on the boat for Bilbao and the adventure begins...