Tuesday, March 22, 2005

When and what to film?

As we go into Morocco I am presented with my first challenge - customs. It is notoriously hard at any African border and the perhaps the reputation precedes them among travellers. I remember being nervous just from hearing other stories.

As a rule, filming anywhere near officialdom in any country is a bit of a stupid idea. Filming does not help your situation with the hordes of surly looking officers, all of which oversee the confusion of the Ceuta border. So I refrain from filming on the way in... despite my hyper-sensitivity to the situation. There are some great shots of the chaos to be had - especially the holding bay for foot passengers, which is basically a cage.

I regretted the decision not to film at the border as soon as we are the other side, as I felt that it was a situation that would have been great cinematically and embodies the excitement of African travel in one sequence.

I make a resolve to film it on the way out of the country, but on that occassion I am told to turn it off, and we are subsequently prey to corruption, the other stereotype of African travel.