Thursday, March 31, 2005

Fesh Fesh

One of the fundamental moments at which the group got frustrated at the video being filmed was when Martin got stuck in fesh fesh, a fine powdery sand. A problem with filming these sorts of events is that you aren't actually helping! It applies everywhere - I remember that I didn't end up in my brother's wedding photos because I filmed it. Similarly, people wonder how camera people can film wars and not get involved, but you can't... you are there to document - and failure to do so means that you are failing in your role.

I tried explaining this to the guys, but they weren't in the mood. However, they appreciated it when it came to watching the film, and subsequently enjoyed the sequence.

One frustration of mine is that I didn't film Ali's Palace at Merzouga. My batteries had died and the power converter had busted also, so I couldn't film our musical jam, or our berber tent! It is really annoying, as it would have been a great addition to the film. Paul later realised that the supply battery had gone dead in the car, and we hadn't broken the power supply after all. It was a shame I couldn't film Merzouga, but at least I could finish the film.